What it’s Like to Live Diagnosed With a Mental Illness

Alexis Kincaid, Staff Reporter

Many teens are often diagnosed with a type of mental illness, some more severe than others. Whether it be something as common as ADHD and depression to something more rare such as Dissociative Identity Disorder, all mental illnesses are serious and can be dangerous if not properly diagnosed by a professional.

While seeing other students around us struggle with such disorders is tough, it takes a much higher toll on the teens who have to live with depression or anxiety on a daily basis. Those students live all around us and could even be someone close to you.

The following part of this article is in the first person point of view of a Caddo student who lives with a mental illness. This student was diagnosed with psychosis and decided they wanted to share their story:

My fellow students would rub it in my face and laugh with the repeating “Where’s your dad?” or “where’s your mom”. I told them I didn’t have a dad but I did have my aunt and my mom. They would make fun of me for the two people who gave me love. They didn’t just bother me for my family but they also bothered me personally. They hated me for not being popular and being what they thought to be ugly. Despite all the bullying I went through I still smiled and laughed and brushed it off like it was nothing. I eventually thought that it was normal for people to act like that to me. I grew up with either being yelled at or having to hear people scream at each other every second of the day. Eventually, everything broke me and I turned into a monster. I ended up hurting people around me, sometimes unintentionally. Seventh Grade was when things got way worse. I started getting depressed, starting experiencing horrible anxiety around people and eventually, all the bullying took its toll and I started cutting. I forever regret that decision. I learned once you start you can’t stop. Eighth grade I remember we had a project in my English class. The point was to sing in front of the whole class. My partner and I worked on it and whenever the day came that we had to sing, I knew I couldn’t do it. There were people in there that are so judgmental and it made it worse. So when it came time for us to sing I froze and couldn’t even speak or breathe. I wanted to break the silence, but I couldn’t.  Everyone was staring at me and some people started to snicker and some started whispering to each other. I started freaking out and ran out of the room. Later that day I went to PE and I heard this kid making fun of me and laughing about my anxiety attack; something I can’t control. Someone I had grown close to at the time told me my brother’s death is my fault. I felt like I was kicked in the chest. I was filled with rage and utter agony mixed together. Many days when I went to school I couldn’t stand being around all the people who treat me wrong, though sometimes I feel I deserve it. At this point I have learned to hide my weaknesses from people who would use them against me, although sometimes I trust and forgive too easily.

Many students go through these circumstances and many more painful experiences and often hide their true feelings throughout the day. Anything that a person could say to them through the day could set off a whirlwind of mixed emotions that could potentially cause many issues. As a student body I believe we should be a bit more cautious what we say to other students as we may not know what is going on in their life or if they have depression or anxiety. Try to remember each day that everyone matters and we all make great contributions in our own unique ways.

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/help-yourself/youth/

Call 1-800-273-8255
Available 24 hours everyday