Cheer Your Way Into a New Year

Staff Reporter - Audra Doyle

Do you want to be involved in football season, basketball season, pep rallies, and many other things? If so, cheer tryouts are just around the corner. On February 18, Caddo Mills High School cheer tryouts will be taking place in the gym. The cheer squad is open to all freshman, sophomore, junior, and seniors on campus. For the individuals that make the team, freshman and sophomore are placed on Junior Varsity and junior and seniors are placed on the Varsity cheer squad. If you want to be apart of the cheer squad and want to raise school spirit, read below for some more information!

I interviewed Mrs. Ochsendorf, the Varsity cheer coach, and asked her a few questions about tryouts. Some questions that I asked her were what kind of people she would like to see tryout for the squad and when mandatory practices for cheer tryouts will be held. The mandatory practices are February 13th, 14th, and 15th. Each individual who is trying out for the cheer team, must attend these practices in order to tryout. Mrs. Ochsendorf said that she wanted to see high spirited, enthusiastic, motivated, school spirited, happy, hard working, and dedicated individuals tryout for the cheer squad.

Another question that I asked Mrs. Ochsendorf were what are the requirements to tryout for cheer. One requirement to be a cheerleader is candidates cannot have more than three major office referrals for behavior related issues during the current school year prior to tryouts. To tryout for cheerleader, you must have an average of 80 for the first semester of the school year. Any new or transfer students that wants to tryout for cheer must be officially enrolled before the tryouts. One of the last requirements to be a cheerleader is there must be no history of mandatory or voluntary removal from the squad during the present school year.  

As a 6 year cheerleader, cheering at the games has been my favorite thing to do. Cheering at football games, pep rallies, and basketball games brings so much excitement. I have been cheer captain for Middle School, JV, and Varsity cheer teams and it has been fun to see how much cheer is growing in Caddo Mills! Join in and be part of that growth! You do not want to miss out on this opportunity!